Thursday, March 15, 2012

Me too.


If someone says something affirmative
and the same is true for you,
then you say, "me too."

Example:
Friend: I like chocolate.
You (who likes chocolate): Me too!

If someone says something in the negative
and the same is true for you,
then you say, "me neither."

Example:
Friend: I don't like natto.
You (who hates natto): Me neither!


BUT!
Most people, even native speakers tend to say,

Friend: I don't like natto
You (who hates natto): Me too.

Even though it is wrong, so don't stress.
Native speakers don't always use perfect English.

2 comments:

  1. OK. I have a question.
    What the man in the above picture said is right?
    What the woman said is negative, right?
    I am confused because she expressed a negative feeling, but the sentence she said was a positive sentence.
    Can you explain it? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question Masa, I was hoping someone would ask this.
    Yes the picture above is correct because, although “HATE” feels negative, it is in fact not a negative sentence. Whereas “I don’t like thinking.” is negative because of the “DON’T LIKE”. So the man’s response is grammatically correct. Also just as a point of interest, if the woman had said “I don’t hate thinking.” (a negative statement) and the man wished to agree with her then the correct response would be “Neither do I.” but in reality he would probably just say “Me too.”
    :Phil

    ReplyDelete