Wednesday, October 28, 2009

North American Customs

Custom 10: Spontaneity
Today's awesome culture tidbit is about spontaneity, which means that you can act on impulse or without any notice. I've noticed in Japan that many people plan things way in advance. I've been invited out for dinner with friends over a month and a half before the day of the dinner. One time, a friend asked me to meet up for coffee three weeks in advance. It seems like everyone in Japan has a planner or agenda, filled with activities that they have planned days, weeks, or even months in advance. It's nearly impossible for people to just decide to meet up with a friend out of nowhere, because this day planner is usually all booked for days to come.


Back home in Canada, it's not uncommon for a friends to call me up just a few hours or less before they want to see me. And it's not uncommon for me to accept this invitation. See, in Canada, it seems more people are spontaneous and maybe this is because we have more free time than most Japanese people who have jobs. I'm not sure. Why do you think this is?

1 comment:

  1. yea its crazy how people so far in advance! my friends from hawaii that are here call me like at 5 to say lets go drink at 7. if we plan 3 weeks in advance we'd probably forget about it.

    ReplyDelete