Thursday, October 2, 2014

Stairs

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhwn7Rkh3a-_b694u2Zao7npNZ9Lfr9BINl2rv2bsU-svd3zdmCYQOfQLoao6vdHdmbouCCNzXmyaAtinynqgLIb4Libb09TIwB3fQY4RNWXILLkBK-b1xbtLtKMniyN1Kx-OEQpDYZXI4/s1600/Sin+t%C3%ADtulo-6.jpg

My house is old. It’s by far the oldest house on our block. We tried to liven it up, to make it comfy, and and we did a pretty good job. We put colorful rugs on the freezing concrete, lamps in every corner. Every room was nice and modern-except the basement.

When I was a little kid, I would sprint up the stairs coming up from the basement. I don’t know what I was afraid of. Maybe a ghost, or a monster in the dark behind me, waiting for me to turn around so it can catch me and… I don’t know what it would do.

But now, as a seventeen year old boy, I’m walking up the stairs from my basement, and my childish fears, long repressed, are coming back. I tell myself to shut up, but that dark part in the back of my head tells me to run, to get out NOW. More than anything I want to rocket up those stairs as I did as a child, but I force my feet to take even, normal steps. I feel the overwhelming urge to look behind me, but I also want to win the battle of paranoia that’s going on in my brain.

So I slowly walk up the seemingly endless staircase, my palms sweating and my heart racing the entire way. But about ten steps from the top, I feel an ice cold hand close around my ankle.

2 comments:

  1. They should've renovated darker parts of thier house first. I learned from this story that a small mistake leads to a big fear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you have a place that gave you the creeps when you were a kid Masa? I used to hate taking the garbage out when I was young. Our driveway was very long and dark.
    :Phil

    ReplyDelete