Thursday, June 9, 2011

Soapy welcome!

This morning I was deeply asleep when someone knocked on my door. (I don`t know anyone it hasn`t happened to!) . Since I am not grumpy in the morning I kindly opened the door and a lovely lady apologized for waking me up and introduced herself as my new neighbor. She took a present out of her bag and gave it to me. I thanked her, closed the door and after an hour of sleep, I decided to open my unexpected present. I kind of felt bad because when I moved in I just introduced myself to one neighbour and did not give anything to anyone T-T
I got dish soap which I thought was cute and clever! Everyone needs a dish soap, right?! I will make sure to put a memo in her mail box this week to thank her again :)

Is it common in Japan to offer this kind of present when you moved into a new place? Honestly, I really did not expect it and I loved it!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, it's common in Japan to give some greetings to your new neighborhood with a present when you move into a new place. But just introduce yourself is absolutely OK!
    About a present, it's preferred that something like commonly-consumed one, for example sweets, detergent or towels.
    I'm sure your new neighbour will be happy to receive your thank you memo:)
    Enjoy your life in Japan!!

    ReplyDelete