Thursday, November 12, 2009

North American Customs

Custom #11: Table Manners

I have noticed many different table manners and ways of eating while living in Japan, so I thought that you would be interested in knowning some North American table rules.


Firstly, by all means chew with your mouth closed, do not slurp your food or talk with food in your mouth or make loud or unusual noises while eating. Say ''Excuse me,'' or ''Excuse me. I'll be right back,'' before leaving the table. Refrain from blowing your nose, burping, coughing, yawning or sneezing at the table. If you do so say ''Excuse me''.


At a dinner party or formal setting napkins are usually cloth and placed in the lap while eating and then on the table to the left of the dinner plate when finished the meal. If you are being served by a single person, the server should request if the guest would like any of the dish, and the guest may say ''Yes, please,'' or ''No, thank you''. Except in a public restaurant (where it is common), do not ask to take some leftover food home. A dinner host may suggest that extra food be taken by the guests (similar to Japan) but should not insist.

No comments:

Post a Comment