Thursday, January 19, 2012

Japanese New Year's Cuisine: Ozoni!




I didn't know that there were many types of ozoni! I ate ozoni as a child, and since my grandma is from Kyoto, we usually ate white miso ozoni. Then, one of my friends from Japan made red miso ozoni. So, I basically thought there were only 2 types of ozoni.

But, now! I found 2 more types of ozoni. My wife made sumashi ozoni. It was just basically dashi with mochi and some mitsuba. This was really good! I can eat shiro miso ozoni but I never really liked it that much, but this sumashi style is sooooo ono ("delicious" in Hawaiian)! One of my students also told me that she makes sumashi ozoni using shoyu. Now that sounds good too! She also puts chicken and many other vegetables. I've never had any meat with ozoni so I would really want to try this style.

Here are some styles that I found on wikipedia:

Sumashi Style: salt, usukuchi shoyu, karakuchi shoyu, shiro shoyu
Miso Style: white miso, red miso, mixed miso, wheat miso, rice miso
Natto Shiru
Komame Shiru


What kind of ozoni do you eat? And is there something special you put in your ozoni?

No comments:

Post a Comment